Our librarians are information experts, ready to help you with your questions!
- In person during open hours at the Reference Desk next to Circulation Services
- By phone at (708)547-7393. Choose option 4 from the phone menu. If the Librarian is busy or the library is closed, you can leave a voice mail message.
If you live in Bellwood, you must have a current Bellwood Public Library card to use our computers. If you need to obtain a Library card, you may stop by our Circulation Desk or call 708-547-7393, ext 210. for assistance.
All Computer users must abide by our Bellwood Library Computer Policy
If you use your Bellwood Public Library card, you may use a computer up to an hour a session, with a daily limit of two hours. Patrons who are unable to obtain a Library Card but have a valid ID may be offered a visitor's pass with a time limit of 30 minutes.
Computers for Adults
The Bellwood Public Library Adult Services Department provides 10 Computers for patrons who possess a valid Bellwood Public Library Card or a card from one of our partner (SWAN) libraries. Adult computers require a Library card number with Pin number to use or reserve. Patrons are allowed to use a computer for up to one hour a session, with a daily maximum time of two hours. Patrons who are unable to obtain a Library Card but have a valid ID may be offered a visitor's pass with a time limit of 30 minutes.
Computers for Children
In the Youth Services department, 8 computers are available for use by patrons under age 14 for games and free use. In order to use the computers, patrons must have a library card in good standing. Visitor passes are offered only with an Adult present. Please read our Bellwood Library Computer Policy. If you have any other questions, please speak to a Youth Services staff member.
Computers for Teens
In the Teen Room, 6 computers are available for patrons ages 14-17.
- WI-FI is available throught the building with a public network signal (no password required). The Library's wireless connection is unencrypted and unfiltered. Use of the wireless connection is done at the patron's own risk. By using this connection, patrons acknowledge that security errors and hacking are an inherent risk associated with any wireless service.
- Black & White Copies are 15 cents per page.
- Color Copies are 35 cents per page.
- Wireless printing from your mobile device
- Technical support for Library Computers and WI-FI is provided by the Library's IT Coordinator when on duty.
The Library has notaries public on staff.
Please call us at 708-547-7393, ext. 4 to make sure a notary is available at the time you plan to come.
We will notarize most documents except real estate and immigration documents. This service is free. Please bring your government-issued identification and documents. All signers must make a personal appearance before the notary at the time of notarization.
OUR NOTARIES ARE NOT ATTORNEYS LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW IN ILLINOIS AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.
Databases are available for library cardholders. Want to search your family history or get a legal form? Go to the list of databases to find your answer!
- Read local newspapers Proviso Star Progress (1937-1956) Star Sentinel (1956-1997) Proviso Star Sentinel (1974-1981) and West Proviso Herald (1978-1982).
- See the yearbooks of Proviso West High School (1961-2017).
- Read about the early history in "Bellwood History 1900-1976" or the program for Bellwood's 50th anniversary, "The Golden Jubilee"
Gale Courses offers instructor-led online courses for some of the most requested adult education topics. Courses are self-paced and led by a real instructor who can give feedback, answer questions, and offer personalized guidance.
Lynda.com offers more than 4,000 courses covering technical skills, creative techniques, business strategies, and more available FREE with your library card!
Mango offers access to over 70 foreign language courses and 17 English courses taught completely in the user’s native language. In addition to traditional language courses, Mango also offers the opportunity to learn through foreign film with Mango Premiere™. Once you have created your free account, you can download the Mango app and learn on the go too!
Adult Bellwood Public Library cardholders can check out a wireless internet hotspot. See Circulation Services or call (708)547-7393 option 3 for more details.
- 7 day checkout period
- $20 cash deposit
- If you use the mobile app (App Store, Google Play, Amazon), you can also download titles to your device for offline playback later, where Wi-Fi may be unavailable. Check out up to 8 items a month.
Check out a Museum Adventure Pass for 7 days with your Bellwood Library Card. See the list of participating museums and what they offer.
Bellwood Library subscribes to over 100 print magazines and newspapers. Read today's newspaper in the quiet reading area by the fireplace on the first floor, and browse the Adult magazine collection in our lower level Magazine Area near the Adult Computers.
Magazines for children are in the first floor Youth Services Department.
Magazines for teens are in the first floor Teen Room.
Autism Today magazine is in the Special Needs Collection. Special Parent can be read online.
Most magazines can be checked out for seven days. Current issues are for enjoying in the Library only.